Danielson / Common Core Features: The 'What' and the 'How'
FEATURES OF THE COMMON CORE STANDARDS, MENTIONED BY DANIELSON ARE OF GREATEST IMPORTANCE TO YOU?
- Student understanding of Concepts vs acquisition of superficial knowledge
Enable students to explore concepts, discuss them with each other, to question and respectfully challenge classmates assertions
Students invited, or even required, to think, and explain their thinking.....invite students to think and to understand complex
- Close reading of texts
- Balance of fiction and non-fiction
- Attention to what students are doing....being asked good questions and asking good questions
- Teacher collaboration, analysis of student work, review videos of one another teaching....inviting
teachers to think deeply about what the students are learning, and about whether they are really teaching for understanding,
and how they can do better.
- Student use of primary resources
Formative assessment assimilated into lesson plans.....evidence that students understand what they are learning
Differentiated instruction and mastery (ensure conceptual understanding of place value - needed before pacing guide focus
on prime numbers)
- Extremely challenging test items released so far
Premium on deeper learning and understanding and (deep) engagement (challenge to reduce boredom)